Maximizing Access to Research Careers Undergraduate Student Training for Academic Research
Home | Leadership | Students | Applicants | Benefits | Summer Research | Events | Alumni
MARC-U*STAR supports student academic and research activities while they train to enter PhD programs. Students receive financial benefits, as well as professional experience required for doctoral program admission and success.
- Obtain hands-on research experience in research laboratories at Temple University /Medical School or nearby Research intensive universities.and at one summer internship. Students have a project of their own, and will publish their abstracts, and (hopefully) scientific papers. Research will be presented at poster session at the end of the summer.
Students are expected to work up to 15 hours per week in the laboratory during the semester and full-time (40 hours) during the summer ans other holidays, as required by the PI of the lab.
- Students are not allowed to hold off-campus jobs while participating in MARC, in order to maximize their research exposure.
- $1028.00/month stipend
- Partial tuition benefits for Fall and Spring tuition
- Travel and conference expenses for 1 conference per year
- Travel, Housing and Food support during Summer Internships (nearly guarantees admission to any summer program, with good GPA and solid letters of recommendation)
All MARC participants are allotted funds to attend one scientific conference, annually. Paid is airfare, hotel (sharing a room), registration fees, per diem for food when it is not provided) and other travel related to attending the conference. All other travel/entertainment is the responsibility of the student.
- MARC Seminars, and Lunch with the Speakers (direct professional training and networking sessions)
- Responsible Conduct of Research course
- Off-campus Summer Research Internship
- Critical Thinking and Scientific Writing classes
- Personal Statement writing workshops
- Conference Attendance
- Abstract Writing, Poster and Final Oral Presentation
- One-on-one meetings with MARC director and administrator and weekly group meetings
*Please note: Students should expect to spend sufficient time in their laboratory to complete their research projects. There will be times when students will have to invest longer hours to complete their projects.